Thursday, April 30, 2009

Clients Reporting Book Helpful!

When I wrote "Looking Through the Eyes of Trauma and Dissociation: An Illustrated Guide for EMDR Therapists and Clients," I intended it to both instruct therapists the way that my workshops have for nearly two decades, but also to be a source for clients. Over the years, in my practice, I have used these and other cartoons to help clients quickly grasp key concepts that may not be otherwise obvious to them.

Since my book came out a couple of months ago, it has been selling at a good clip. However, I haven't been able to tell whether clients or therapists were buying it, or both. I get emails from time to time from colleagues, so I know that they are buying it....but how about the clients?

Well, I've had some recent feedback that really delights me. From my clients and from people I have never met, I've heard comments like these...

"I'm finally getting it about how the ego states are in the body with me."

"So that criticism from Dad I hear is really from a part of me that is just like Dad!"

and

"the pictures are really helping (a part's name), and I'm telling her that it's over, it's not happening now, and he (the perpetrator) is dead."

In my own practice, I keep a copy near my chair so I can open up quickly to the pictures that illustrate really important points. I use pages 84 and 88, I think, nearly every day. And the perpetrator introject sequence. And the sequence about why we fractionate EMDR to avoid flooding.

So that's why I created the book, and that's how it is being used. I'm happy and grateful that this has come to pass. It was part of why I was put on the planet, I do believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment